DENTAL CARE- ITS NO SECRET.
See our Care Offers for our current New Patient Offer.
Dental checkups involve a thorough oral examination of both the oral soft tissues and teeth. Ideally these should be conducted half yearly or at least annually. Normally checkups involve a scaling and polish of your teeth to remove residue and build that everyday brushing will not remove. It is also necessary to utilise x-rays for the early detection of cavities between teeth. It is important to have checkups as poor dental health can affect not only the teeth and gums but also lead to bleeding gums, bad breath and general health problems.
TREAT THEM WITH CARE
It is easy to abuse teeth. Sadly many people only realise they have damaged a tooth when its too late.
Be careful when eating the following:
- Soft food items with hard pieces in them such as popcorn, muesli, whole-wheat breads and stone fruit.
- Foods that need extreme pressure to chew like: pork crackling, hard nuts, hard boiled sweets, toffees (i.e fantails & minties) and ice cubes.
- Too many teeth have been fractured or broken clean off while being used as instruments or tools.
CARE MORE, NOT LESS!
- Brush twice a day, floss daily, use interdental brushes and consider the use of an alcohol free mouthwash daily.
- Reduce sugar consumption.
- Minimise continuous snacking through the day.
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid carbonated drinks as they have a ridiculous sugar content. Remember “Diet or Light” doesn’t mean Good for Teeth.
- Reduce tea, coffee and red wine consumption where possible. These are the major contributors to staining and spoiling that beautiful Tassie Smile.
- Do not smoke. Apart from causing staining, smoking is the largest contributor to gum and bone diseases as well as mouth cancers!
- Above all else enjoy life and keep on smiling!